21 Nov Property Leaks and How to Deal with Them
One of the most common commercial building repairs in Indianapolis, IN is property leaks. To keep your property in good shape, it’s important to be aware of the most common leaks and how to locate them.
Use the following guide for commercial building maintenance in Indianapolis, IN to ensure your building stays dry and safe. If you would like additional tips on leak repairs, don’t hesitate to contact your local experts in commercial building repairs in Indianapolis, IN.
Most Common Leaks
- Toilets: Does your commercial building see a lot of foot traffic? Public restrooms can get a lot of use. This means your building’s toilets can wear out quickly, causing leaks. Stay on top of this maintenance to avoid further damage. A leaky toilet may not seem like a big deal but, if left unrepaired, it can turn into a major issue that causes structural damage and generates mold growth.
- Faucets: Dripping faucets are often neglected leaks in commercial buildings. You might simply need to replace a rubber washer. Don’t ignore the issue until it worsens. Over time, the leak can affect other components, and then you might need to replace the entire fixture.
- Ceilings: Buildings with multiple stories are susceptible to leaks through floors and ceilings. Water from the bathroom upstairs may leak through to lower floors if waterproofing measures fail. Damp patches may appear that eventually turn to mold patches.
- Plumbing: Broken pipes are a common cause for commercial building repairs in Indianapolis, IN. Cold weather or simple wear and tear can cause pipes to burst or leak, which can result in disastrous damage to the property. Sewer lines are another source of potential leaks.
- Roofs: How old is the roof on your commercial building? Over time, the elements can take their toll on a roof. Moisture may make its way into your building. Often, simple roof repairs can be made to prevent leaks rather than replace the entire roof.
How to Find Them
- Plumbing leaks: Regularly inspect your fixtures for signs of leaks. Look for wet carpets, pooling water on the floor or water damage to equipment or structures. Test your faucets and toilets regularly to ensure they are operating optimally. Confirm all connections are solid and no leaks are present.
- Roof and ceiling leaks: Watch for stains in the ceilings or walls that indicate you have a leak in the roof or other ceiling. You may need to remove ceiling tiles or panels to discover the exact origin of a leak.
- Hidden leaks: Not all leaks are obvious. You may notice crumbling plaster, loose tiles or gaps in bathroom grout. These could be signs of age, or they could be signs of a leak. You might have a leaky pipe in the walls. If you discover any signs that could point to a hidden leak, contact a professional to determine the appropriate next steps.
Do you need assistance with your commercial building maintenance in Indianapolis, IN? If you suspect your building has a leak, contact the experts at Knauss Property Services, LLC. We have the highest skilled craftsmen in the field. We provide quality services including waterproofing, emergency leak repair and more. Reach out to our experienced team today!