21 Mar Five Signs That You Need Commercial Building Waterproofing in Indianapolis, IN
Water damage or a flooded basement can be a business owner’s worst nightmare. Water damage not only compromises the structural and overall safety of your building, but it can also damage goods, equipment and other possessions. In fact, billions of dollars are spent nationwide to rectify water and flood damage every year.
Fortunately, there is a very simple way to protect yourself from the costly effects of water damage, and that is by investing in commercial building waterproofing in Indianapolis, IN. Having your property waterproofed is a fast, easy and cost-effective way to avoid the inconvenience and the high costs of having to deal with damaged goods or, even worse, a compromised structure. But how do you know if your building actually needs waterproofing? Below are a few things to watch for:
- Water: The most obvious sign that your structure is in need of waterproofing is visible signs of water. Look for damp concrete walls or water spots on drywall. You can also check your windows for seeping water or dampness. If you see signs of water, keep in mind that damage is already being done and you should call for waterproofing services immediately to avoid further damage.
- Cracks: Check the exterior of your structure for cracks in your brick or stone. Cracks in the exterior of your building are prime access points for water. Also check the mortar or caulking between the bricks or stones. Failed caulking allows for water intrusion as well. The frames of windows and doors should also be checked for compromised caulking or sealant.
- Bad smell: If you’ve started to notice a bad odor in your building, this may be a sign that water is seeping in through the walls or foundation. If the building smells damp, like mildew, or moldy, this could be a sign that you have a leak somewhere and that waterproofing is needed to avoid further damage.
- Mold: Mold goes where the water goes. Mold is almost always a sure sign of a leak somewhere in your building. Check for mold in your basement and exterior walls, and around windows and doors. If you notice signs of mold in any of these areas, it usually means that water is already gaining access at those points.
- Salt or mineral deposits: When water on brick, concrete and some natural stones evaporates, it can leave behind a white substance. This white substance is actually the salt or minerals that were in the water that got left behind when the water evaporated. If you see a white deposit like this in your basement or on your stone exterior, it’s another sure sign that waterproofing is needed.
Don’t put off waterproofing your commercial building until it’s too late. By being proactive about and investing in commercial building waterproofing in Indianapolis, IN now, you could wind up saving yourself thousands in costly damages later. For a waterproofing inspection or to schedule services, call Knauss Property Services today—we look forward to assisting you!