22 Jul Why Commercial Buildings Need Routine Caulking
There are many different aspects of commercial building maintenance, but one that you should always be aware of as a property owner is the interior and exterior caulking. In addition to keeping your building looking great, these are a few of the top reasons to keep your building’s caulk in perfect condition:
- Prevent water damage: Exterior caulking is your first line of defense against the elements. The main reason to inspect your caulking and re-caulk areas as needed is to prevent leaks and subsequent water damage. If there is any water damage, be sure to address it early to stop dangerous mold growth and structural deterioration.
- Block pests: Even the tiniest cracks in your building’s exterior can lead to a pest infestation. In addition to hiring an exterminator for preventative pest treatment, ensure your caulking is fully intact to keep insects and rodents from entering your facility.
- Reduce allergens: Dust, pollen and other allergens are all prevalent outside. Ensure they don’t come into your building by inspecting and fixing your caulking on a regular basis. In addition to preserving your indoor air quality, blocking allergens prevents breathing complications and keeps your employees happy.
- Improve commercial value: Another reason to hire a professional for regular commercial building maintenance is to retain your property value. We recommend hiring a team to perform maintenance at least once a year to keep everything looking good and in reliable working order.
The different types of caulking
In addition to understanding the importance of routine caulking, you should know all the areas that should be caulked and the types of caulks to use. These are the different kinds that may be used in a waterproofing project:
- Painter’s caulk: The most affordable caulk available on the market is painter’s caulk, also known as acrylic latex. We’ll use this type of caulk to fix small holes in a building’s interior or exterior. Once it’s dry, we’ll paint over the repaired area to preserve your building’s appearance.
- Vinyl latex: For outdoor projects, we typically apply vinyl latex caulk. This type has similar qualities to painter’s caulk, and can be painted over once it’s dry. This waterproofing agent is much more durable than painter’s caulk.
- Wet sealant: This caulk is used for windows to seal the areas surrounding glass that are connected to the building. This is a long-lasting sealant that can also be used to replace rubber gaskets, which deteriorate after a few years. Because it requires special tools to apply, we recommend hiring a professional instead of tackling the project yourself.
- Acrylic tile sealant: Wet areas—like shower tiles, pipe exteriors or other areas subject to constant water exposure—often require acrylic tile sealant. This sealant can be applied by a novice. However, hiring a pro is still recommended to ensure the job is done right.
Hire our team for your maintenance needs
If you need a team of professionals to perform routine caulking or repair leaks, call Knauss Property Services, LLC. We perform a variety of commercial maintenance services to prevent issues and keep your building in tip-top shape.